DxOMark completed their Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II Lens test results: Tested on the 61MP Sony a7R IV ($3,498 at Amazon, B&H, Adorama), the Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II Lens achieves an outstanding overall score of 41 points, with a combination of 53 P-Mpix Sharpness, 3.1 TStop Transmission, 0.4% Distortion, -1.2 EV Vignetting and 3μm Chr.aberration.
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II Lens Key Features:
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- 29% Weight Reduction from Previous Model
- Four XD Linear AF Motors; 4x Faster AF
- One XA & One Aspherical Elements
- Two ED Elements & Two Super ED Elements
- Nano AR Coating II
- Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization
- Dust and Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Eleven-Blade Circular Diaphragm
Conclusion from DxOMark:
The original Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS was already a very good performer, but it looks as if pressure from rivals (Canon’s RF 70-200mm F2.8 weighs just 1070 g) to lower the weight in this type has resulted in this newer GM2 version. Against its predecessor and the relatively new Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm F2.8 VR S (which at 1440 g is just 40 g less than the original Sony), the Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II performs well and comes out in front, but it’s not by a large margin. While the weight advantage is nice to have the new model comes with quite a hefty price tag attached.
You can read the full review at DxOMark.
- Best Lenses for Sony a7 IV
- Best Memory Cards for Sony a7 IV
- Best Lenses for Sony a7 III
- Best Memory Cards for Sony a7 III
- Best Lenses for Sony a7S III
- Best Memory Cards for Sony a7S III